Our LNTA athletes covered a lot of ground in the winter and early spring, playing in every level tournament from state L5’s to nationals! At all levels, they expanded their games, learned how to win and lose, and gained some great life experiences. Some stayed local, competing in school and USTA matches. Others traveled throughout the state and south, competing in Raleigh, Louisville, Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Rome (GA), Charleston, Augusta, Winston-Salem, and more! Everyone came back with stories, and we know you have pictures. If you’d like to share them, please send them to us. We’d love to share the stories and pictures. The picture above was taken on day two of the Winter Southern Closed Championships, December 2012. Olivia and Hannah were leaving to warm-up for early matches, hoping to cross paths with Ryan in prep for the tough competition ahead. Although the matches were indoor, a snowstorm swept through Louisville for the second year in a row during this tournament, causing issues with road conditions and concerns about match-time delays. In the end, it all worked out, and the players enjoyed the first big snowday of the year!
- The Herald Weekly (Dec. 21) – Archer’s opening act netted a state championship
- Denver Weekly (Nov. 14) – CHAMPIONS: Dazzling debut for freshman champion Archer
- The Herald Weekly (Nov. 2) – Archer makes stunning debut as 1A tennis state champion
- Lake Norman Citizen (Nov. 2) – Trio has state success
- Mount Airy News (Oct. 29) – Bears finish second in state tennis championship
- NCHSAA (Oct. 27) – Lake Norman Charter’s Archer takes 1A Singles Title
- Winston-Salem Journal (Oct. 25) – Demon’s Willetts still on track for tennis title
- Gaston Gazette (Oct. 9) – Knights rule SPC 1A tennis tourney
Published articles that are no longer online:
- The Herald Weekly (Dec. 21) – Lake Norman-Area Girls Tennis Player of the Year
- Charlotte Observer (Dec. 20) – Lake Norman Charter’s Hannah Archer is All-Observer tennis player of the year
- Charlotte Observer, Lake Norman News (Nov 20.) – 2012 All Lake Norman girls’ tennis team
- Charlotte Observer, Lake Norman News (Nov 6.) – Freshman’s work ethic helps her win state title
- Charlotte Observer (Oct. 27) – Lake Norman Charter’s Hannah Archer unseats reigning tennis champ
- Lake Norman Charter School (Nov. 8) – Hannah Archer named Southern Piedmont Conference Player of the Year
Congratulations to Nicki Segur and her Statesville Christian team for winning the 2012 North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (NCISAA) 1A State Championship. For more about SCS and Segur, see the Statesville Record & Landmark. You may recall Nicki being featured in the Lake Norman section of the Charlotte Observer earlier in the season. Click here to see that story.
We had a light week of camp at Jetton this past week, while several of our players participated in tournaments, attended high school try outs, and vacationed with their families. Congratulations to all of our players who participated in the NC State Clay Court Championships…especailly to Olivia who won the girls 12’s (shown right), Hannah who placed 3rd in the girls 14’s, and two players that placed in girl’s 10’s — Julia (2nd) and Andersen (4th). Competition was tough, and ALL of our players competed well!
Lake Norman Tennis Academy players Olivia, Andre, and Hannah (left) entered the Firethorne Junior Open this past weekend unseeded. When it was over, they came home with five trophies and covering Boy’s 12 Singles, Girl’s 14 Singles, Girl’s 16 Singles, and Girl’s 14 Doubles. All three players started their singles matches with 0, 0 wins, and they carried the momentum forward in their matches, defeating the 1 or 2 seed on the way to the finals.
Congratulations to all of our Academy players who competed in the NC State Qualifier — the biggest state tournament of the year. We had 11 players participating, lots of good match play, many wins, and a couple of trophies brought home! This was a great experience for all. Special congratulations to Olivia who won Girls’ 12 Doubles and came in 7th in Singles. Click on the video below to see some highlights from her doubles finals.
LNTA player wins the Boys 10 singles division of the Serve It UP Tennis Futures Spring Blast in Charlotte this weekend. Congratulations Jack!